Welcome to my Parlour ...

On August 26th, 2010, my mother passed beyond the veil.
This event has become a catalyst for change in many and often profound ways in my life.
This is my way of chronicling those changes so that I may, at a later date, have the ability to review and reflect upon them.

~ Go dtugtar breith orainn dá réir ár ngníomhartha. ~
(Let us, by our actions, be judged)

Saturday, June 18, 2011

AND ... wait some more.


I went to the BIG meeting yesterday with what I've taken to calling my "three men in a tub" (lawyer, accountant, & financial manager) ... the end result is that my waiting isn't done yet. Worst case scenario would be December *cries* which is over a full year and 4 months after Mum passed. Seriously? The bureaucratic machine has created a situation so ponderously cumbersome that there's no way that a simple inheritance situation can be handled in under 16 months?

But still, even with my whining about the wait ... at least, to have a sense of the actual time frame and a deadline upon which all three of the gentlemen at the meeting agreed as being most probable, gives me more to work with than I have had since my mother passed away. I doubt I'll be ready for the board exams by February, as this means that I'll have take whatever work I can find to help pay my share of rent, bills and my debts until things are finally sorted out.

The Lawyer did indicate that he wasn't prepared to remain hostage to my sister's manipulations for much longer. He requires her to sign off, as I did, on his accounting during his time as the power of attorney from 2005-2010. He has provided her with all the paperwork she has requested and the Law Society has many reviews and checks in place to ensure that their people remain honest. At the Financial Manager's suggestion, the Lawyer is going to be providing my sister with a deadline ... a date by which he needs her to either provide the signed release or formally state her intention to not provide it. If she does the former, then the wheels finally begin to turn and things will begin to happen.

If she does the latter, then the Lawyer has stated that he will pack up all his books and accountings for the time period in question and make an appointment with the Courts to see a registrar about getting the courts to certify that he's done what he should and the books are in order. And this is what could cause everything to get stretched out until December, since nothing dealing with the court system is ever quick or timely. Once this has occurred, however, as in the previous scenario ... the wheels of the machine finally start turning and life can finally come out of this dreadful waiting period.

The meeting itself was, in a word, surreal ...

Sunday, June 12, 2011

reHoming Me ...

So, I have decided that this couch-surfing thing just does not suit me.

For the last month and a half, I have been staying with friends kind enough to open their homes to me as I try to get things sorted out. The month of May was spent hiding out at Justin and Stephanie's while June is being spent with Kara's friend Rachel. At J&S's, they at least had a spare room to put me in, so I could both have and give them as much privacy as was possible and still share a suite with them. At Rachel's however, I have a mattress on the floor in the living room as her suite is only a 1 bedroom.

There's also a very big difference in personalities between them ... foremost among the differences is that J&S are both relatively quiet people ... gentle folk with soft spoken mannerisms. Rachel, on the other hand, is not only extremely extroverted and needy but also very loud and lacking certain social graces that makes sharing space quite difficult for an extremely introverted person like myself. She is a kind soul, please do not think that I am not grateful to her for the help, I am ... very. But it is just that my personality and her's do not suit each other for long term contact.

As such, I am greatly hoping that the appointment to view a basement suite this evening goes well. The suite wouldn't be available until July 1 which means that I would have to be here in New West until then, but at least Kara and Stephen would have somewhere to bring the boxes and stuff when they roll into town. We may have to spend a night or two at Rachel's in case the suite isn't quite ready or the uHaul makes much better time than expected (which can happen).

Sunday, June 5, 2011


Nothing to report as yet on the estate front ... life continues in a holding pattern for now.

My location in the Lower Mainland, however, is making a shift. Justin and Stephanie are planning their wedding for early August, as such they have an awful lot of stuff they need to be doing and (quite frankly) I am in the way. They haven't said anything, this is my own sense of perception telling me that I need to be out of their hair.

As such, I'm shifting over across the river to New Westminster to stay with a friend of Kara's until I can find a place of my own. She'll be picking me up shortly. I have everything packed with the exception of the air mattress, one box under the desk in the spare room, and my mother's statuettes which will all remain here for safe keeping until I have my own place to put them. Justin's also promised to keep an eye on my car until I can find out of Rachel has a residential parking permit (which must be displayed in parked cars in NW else you get towed) and/or we can make arrangements to get one.

This is going to be a tight fit though ... definitely motivates me to find a place sooner. I'm looking for either a June 15th (preferred) or July 1st availability.

Almost time to make some magic, methinks ...

Friday, June 3, 2011

Waiting of a New Sort ...

Well ... over the weekend, as I was up in Merritt, I happened to stretch and put my left hand on an odd feeling patch of skin on my left shoulder just to the side of the spine below the neck. It felt very odd and, not being able to see it, I became concerned, since I'd not cut myself nor had any other reason for the skin to have been broken. Couldn't do anything about it while I was up there -- tho, in hindsight, I probably should have popped in to see Joie's Doctor ... as the Dr I got at the New West clinic was an Indian immigrant. Which is fine, except that she hadn't the faintest clue what Lyme Disease was, nor what the signs/symptoms are, nor what test to order to screen for the Borellia bacterium (nor the two blood borne parasites that are often carried by the tick along with the bacteria).

Now I wait for the lab results to find out whether Lyme Disease is, indeed, the cause of the skin lesion or if we need to start looking at something else. I'm actually hoping that it is the LD as, catching that early (which this would be) means approximately 3 months on antibiotics and I'm right as rain again. It would be highly preferable to other potential causes.

I just want to be healthy ^_^